nnBackup GUI

nnBackup discussion

nnBackup GUI

Postby Atomhrt » Sun, 19 Jun 2005, 06:18

I was thinking about making a fairly complex GUI front-end for nnBackup using Autohotkey's GUI commands, but after looking at all of the different possible parameters, the task looked like a real time sync.

So, I thought I would take a different approach and make something that worked with CFG files. I have created a very rough GUI using AHK (no lables, controls not positioned correctly, etc). I am coming to you looking for feedback, since no one knows nnBackup as well as you do.

Here is a screenshot -> http://home.comcast.net/~atomhrt/images/ahk.gif

Basically, you can load cfg files, edit, save and execute with this GUI.

Am I missing anything? Do you think this is worth the work, or just a waste of time? Is there something that could be added to make it a lot better?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bob
Atomhrt

Postby VK » Tue, 21 Jun 2005, 17:08

I think your work is great. You have made the right decision: not to include all of the nnBackup options as checkboxes/dropdown lists in multible tabs.

Just see some pictures from our own nnBackup GUI project (with a similiar approach): http://www.nncron.ru/nn/nnbackup/gui/ . This project is currently in suspended state.

IMHO, the only thing that is missed in your GUI is the file/directory chooser, which will just insert the file/directory path to the CFG window. This chooser could be used to enter input/output dirs, paths to the log-files, file-lists etc...
CU
VK
VK

Postby Atomhrt » Wed, 22 Jun 2005, 05:00

Thank you very much for the feedback!

I see what you mean about the "Insert file/dir path" chooser button, as shown on your screen-shot 2-1-1. I will think about how I want to do this.

Thanks again,
Bob

P.S. It would be nice if you start work on your GUI again...
Atomhrt

Postby VK » Wed, 22 Jun 2005, 10:16

Atomhrt wrote:P.S. It would be nice if you start work on your GUI again...

Yesterday Nicholas has confirmed, that he will continue his work on nnBackup GUI.
CU
VK
VK

Return to nnBackup forum (English)