/ inaccurately announces Unicode support

nnBackup discussion

/ inaccurately announces Unicode support

Postby saimhe » Wed, 13 Jul 2005, 13:18

The main page
Main nnBackup advantages:

• full Unicode support

However when the user tries /download.shtml, 2.28 is called the "latest release" there and... therefore will be downloaded among with expectation that it supports Unicode. It doesn't, of course:

Thu, 09 Jun 2005, 16:15, The future of nnBackup (nnBackup 3.0 announcement)
Valery_Kondakoff wrote:We decided to stop the development of the non-Unicode nnBackup. The current nnBackup stable build (nnBackup 2.28) will be the last build in this non-Unicode branch (some bug-fixing updates are possible though!).

Now we are into active development of the new-generation Unicode-aware nnBackup (ver 3.0) which will be backward compatible with it's predecessor (all nnBackup 2.0 command line options will be supported in the forthcoming nnBackup 3.0). Note, please: the new nnBackup 3.0 will not work on Win95/98/ME. So, if you still use one of these operating systems you should stick with nnBackup 2.28.

/ should at least indicate something like "• Unicode support (NOTE: v3.0+ only)"
saimhe

Postby VK » Wed, 13 Jul 2005, 13:26

I don't think this is a problem, just because the nnBackup 3.01b8 is available for download and is pretty stable. So there is nothig wrong we are announcing the Unicode support,
CU
VK
VK

Postby saimhe » Wed, 13 Jul 2005, 13:38

Does it mean that possible confusion is not your problem? :)

(however, I agree that when 3.0+ officially becomes "stable", nothing will be wrong)
saimhe

Postby VK » Wed, 13 Jul 2005, 13:48

Until now there were no support requests with such an issue. So I hope this is not a real problem for our users! :) And, BTW, we are strongly encouraging users to try available beta. I even wrote abut this in our FAQ.

If you do not want to use a beta, just wait a little. I think 3.0 will become a stable release really soon.
CU
VK
VK

Return to nnBackup forum (English)